Class Project: Clumpies.com | Development

HTML/CSS, SASS, Gulp

Rebuild of Clumpies website

The Project

As the final project for the Minneapolis College of Art and Design HTML/CSS class, I partially re-created the site for Clumpies Ice Cream using HTML and CSS only.

Development Details

I used the following techniques to develop the site:

The page was designed for a screen resolution of 1280 pixels.

Link to assignment

www.clumpies.com

Github repo

Class Project: Sanctuary Site | Development

WordPress custom theme, HTML/CSS, MAMP

Sanctuary Custom Theme

The Project

As a class project for the Minneapolis College of Art and Design WordPress/PHP class, I created the home page and one internal page of a site using WordPress.

Development Details

I used the following techniques to develop the site:

The page was designed for a screen resolution of 1280 pixels.

Link to assignment

Github repo

Class Project: Landon Hotel Image Carousel | Development

JQuery

Landon Hotel Image Carousel

The Project

As a class assignment for the Minneapolis College of Art and Design Javascript/JQuery class, I created an animated image carousel for a hotel website.

Development Details

I wrote JQuery code (embedded in the document head) to repeatedly cycle through the images using a fadeout/fadein transition effect.

Link to assignment

Class Project: Knitty.com | UX Design, Development

Information architecture, responsive design, code prototyping

Knitty.com Redesign

The Project

Knitty.com is an online knitting magazine that is published four times a year. I used the site as a class project for both the Information Architecture class at Bentley University and the Responsive Design class at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design.

The Problem

The design of the site de-emphasized the freshest content — the patterns in the current issue — by devoting a disproportionate amount of real estate to static information that is rarely needed by visitors. This lack of balance, in combination with confusing and inconsistent navigation, made it harder than necessary for users to find the content of most interest to them. In addition, the site offered very limited opportunities for site users to interact with site content or other users.

Proposed site map

The Approach

For the Information Architecture class, I conducted a content inventory and expert review of the site, developed a proposed site map using PowerPoint, and created paper & pencil prototypes as well as annotated Axure prototypes of the proposed redesign. For the Responsive Design class, I created a mobile-first coded prototype of a redesigned home page.