Liz Burton Resume
Freelance Web Development/Consulting Projects
9 Miles East Farm, Saratoga Springs, NY
Providing technical assistance with the company’s website, catering site, and email marketing:
- Currently using React/Redux to develop a scheduling app for employees that will streamline the process of creating, modifying and viewing the company’s weekly schedule
- Helped implement online ordering on the company's Shopify catering site
- Currently working on a plan to overhaul the company's Squarespace website
Seniors Outdoors, Durango, CO
- Designed and developed their new website using WordPress custom theming
- Continue to provide support as needed
Appledore Island Migration Station, Appledore Island, ME
- Designed, developed and maintain the station's new website using WordPress custom theming
- Currently working on a data entry app for staff that will simplify data entry tasks and the creation of daily reports
Technical Coaching Fellow Flatiron School • Jan 2019 - present • New York, NY
Assist online Software Engineering students by helping with debugging, answering technical questions, explaining programming concepts and troubleshooting environment issues.
User Experience Researcher Constant Contact • Oct 2013 - Feb 2016 • Waltham, MA
As a researcher embedded in the UX department, I collaborated with product teams to plan and conduct a wide range of research studies.
- ongoing evaluations of the new mobile app, including wants and needs analysis of functionalities being considered as well as usability tests of prototype and coded versions of the app;
- multiple iterations of usability studies of the company's next-generation email editor;
- a contextual inquiry study that took an in-depth look at the unique needs of the company's non-profit customers; and
- a large diary study examining how best to support customers as they transitioned to the new version of the email editor.
- Usability tests (moderated and unmoderated; in-person and remote)
- Longitudinal research (diary study)
- Contextual inquiry
- Card sorts
- Tree tests
- Focus groups
- Brainstorming techniques
- Proof of concept studies
Research AssociateUser Experience Center (UXC), Bentley University • Jan 2012 - May 2013 • Waltham, MA
While a student in Bentley's HFID Master's program, I worked alongside the UX Consultants to conduct and support usability tests, expert reviews and eye tracking studies for a range of client companies.
- Banking and Financial Services
- Websites and E-Commerce
- Interactive Agencies and Consultants
- Usability testing:
- Websites and applications
- Live code and prototype
- Desktop and mobile
- In-person and remote
- Expert review
- Heuristic evaluation
- Eye tracking studies
- Survey research
UX Publications & Presentations
- Liz Burton, Michael Kennedy, and Victoria Morville (2016). You Want Me to What? A Practical Guide to Diary Studies. Presented at the 2016 meeting of UXPA-Boston, April 29, 2016.
- Liz Burton, Debra Reich, and Yina Li (2015). Does a Personal Belief Create Bias in User Behavior Online? In: Rosenzweig, Elizabeth (2015). Successful User Experience: Strategies and Roadmaps. Burlington, MA: Morgan Kauffman Publishers.
- Liz Burton, William Albert, and Mark Flynn (2014). A Comparison of the Performance of Webcam vs. Infrared Eye Tracking Technology. Presented at the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, September 2014, Chicago, IL.
Prior Work Experience
PsychometricianMeasured Progress • 2002 - 2011 • Dover, NH
Member of a psychometric team that was responsible for the technical statistical analyses of large-scale standardized assessment programs.
Director of AssessmentAurora Public Schools • 1996 - 2002 • Aurora, CO
Coordinated district-wide assessment and program evaluation for a large, urban school district.
Adjunct FacultyUniversity of Colorado - Denver • 1993 - 1996 • Denver, CO
Taught graduate level statistics and educational measurement courses.